Turning 30 really wasn’t a big deal for me. I was ready to go back to school and possibly change my career. But things did not pan out how I wanted them go to, my 30th year was challenging for me. I by no means am I telling you that turning 30 is a scary thing. It really is what you make of it. As I turn 31, I feel stronger than ever. It has made me re-evaluate my future and my goals. I’ve accepted that the life I thought I was going to have, is not going to happen anytime soon. That means I have to work harder for the things I aspire to have. I will always be a work in progress and that is OK. Life is funny sometimes in that it gives you only what you can handle.
Here are a few things I have learned along the way that might help ease the transition.
- Mental illness is not a personal failure (and it’s not up to others to make you feel otherwise)
- Don’t sweat the small stuff
- Setbacks are not defeats
- Slow progress is still progress
- Be kind especially to yourself
- Pave your own path
- Live in the moment
- Set small goals
- Only do/take what you can handle
- Self love isn’t selfish, it’s important
- Life YOUR life
- Your body is a temple
- Say “I love you”
- Spend time with family
- Don’t hold grudges
- Speak up!
- Be yourself
- Don’t think too much into the future, future plans might not pan out
- Embrace change
- One day at a time
- Life is short, buy the shoes
- We live on borrowed time
- Family is everything
- Do not let society define you
I hope this helps anybody going through a tough transition in their life and or career. If you wish to share any advice or experience please feel free to share.